Newell Brands Mechanic/Team Lead in El Paso, Texas
Position Title: Mechanic/Team Lead
Reports to: Facilities Maintenance Supervisor
Location: El Paso, TX
Shift: Second (2nd), 2:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Monday - Friday
This position is responsible for two functions – Mechanic and Team Lead. The Mechanic is responsible for the upkeep and repair of the staple set machines. The lead supervises and coordinates the activities of the second (2nd) staple set workers.
• Inspects, operates, and/or tests equipment to diagnose machine malfunction.
• Repairs or replaces defective equipment and/or parts using hand tools and power tools; reassembles equipment.
• Performs routine preventive maintenance to ensure that equipment functions properly.
• Performs changeovers on equipment as dictated by production schedules.
• Aids in the upkeep of parts and supplies inventory.
• Actively engages in the execution of key projects that could include equipment install, kaizen driven improvements, and other initiatives as directed.
STAPLE SET LEAD:
• Distribute and monitor work to ensure all jobs are done per the appropriate work instructions.
• Works with Daily Planner to estimate production requirements for completion of assignments.
• Pick, move, transport material from T-Racks to working area utilizing a forklift truck or material handling equipment.
• Train new employees and coach existing employees.
• Perform all jobs from lower levels.
• Maintains acceptable production rates in accordance with Quickie standards.
• Monitors the operation of all equipment, safety, security and housekeeping of the area and ensures company policies and procedures are followed.
• Maintains an effective safety awareness program, including departmental safety meetings. Provide timely written feedback on any injuries or accidents and makes recommendations for preventing reoccurrence.
• Assist in the implementation of new department initiatives (6S, OEE, Kaizen)
• High School Diploma or GED preferred
• Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience as a mechanic.
• Minim 2-3 years’ experience in a lead position.
• Strong communication and leadership skills.
• Knowledge of safety practices and hazards related to machine operations.
• Ability to competently adjust and repair equipment in a timely manner.
• Skilled in mechanical repair, equipment set-up, and preventative maintenance.
• Must be bilingual – English and Spanish.
• Ability to work overtime and weekends as well as some irregular hours.
• Will be expected to perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
• Ability to wear PPE (safety glasses, gloves, hearing protection)
Physical Requirements & Work Environment:
• Standing and walking approximately 90 (ninety) percent of work time.
• Ability to work overtime, including weekends, with short notice.
• Typical plant/manufacturing environment with concrete floors and moving equipment.
• Ability to lift/move up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis.
Above is a representation of the general responsibilities of the position and should not be construed as a complete description. This position may require other responsibilities as deemed necessary by the management team.
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Newell Brands is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide all employees and applicants for employment with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, immigration status, marital status, military status, any covered veteran status, disability status, genetic information, caregiving responsibilities or any other basis prohibited by law.