Newell Brands Sr Firmware Engineer in Atlanta, Georgia
As the Firmware Engineer, you will be responsible for designing and developing embedded software for the DYMO printing system. That includes driving the print head and the tape transport motor, for various printing media and ribbons, with various power sources (adapter, USB powered, battery powered), at various printing speeds.
Other design areas include user interface, displays, keyboards, motion control, communications systems (USB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) and different operating systems.
Within a multi-disciplinary team, you will support the full development process related to the embedded software/firmware of a new products. This includes the analysis, definition, programming, testing and debugging, documenting as well as the support during validation, qualification, certification and production startup of the product.
• Analyze and develop embedded software solutions for the DYMO product line
• Build up knowledge about printing technologies and print parameter improvements
• Take part in the full product development process including defining, prototyping, testing, debugging and documenting the firmware of the new product
• Support the validation, qualification and certification of the new product by providing documentation, validation plans and test tools whenever appropriate
• Assist in the concept and system design, based on product specification
• Assist in the selection of architecture and key components of hardware and embedded software systems
• Assist in the process of bringing the product to mass production
• Work according to the agreed global processes. This includes the use of the software issue tracking system (Jira) and the technical databases (Windchill and other)
• Take part in any firmware sustaining activities of already marketed products
• Cooperate with external development partners to deliver reliable solutions
• Work closely together with an international multi-disciplinary team
• Work under general project level supervision in an independent, responsible manner within the defined time frame
Required Qualifications and Skills
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in firmware development and embedded systems for consumer electronics
• BS/MS Degree in Computer Engineering (CE) or Electrical Engineering (EE) or Electronics and Computer Engineering (ECE) from an accredited university/college
• Electronics background; ability to analyze electronic schematics
• Strong experience with microcontrollers and embedded application processors. Experience with ARM based platforms is a plus
• Strong knowledge of C and knowledge of C++ for embedded solutions
• Experience with communication technologies like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
• Knowledge of C# or other managed languages is a plus
• Knowledge of RTOS’s & embedded Linux is a plus
• Experience with Integrated Development Environments like IAR and/or Keil is a plus
• Be a team player. Ability to work and interact effectively with members and individuals from other disciplines, projects, functional areas, divisions, and companies is required
• Ability to think out of the box and solve technical problems in a swift and structural way
• Ability to work independently under time and resource constraints is required
• Be fluent in English
• Know-how to operate oscilloscopes, multi-meters, emulators, etc.
• Be willing to travel (max duration 2 weeks, max 4 times per year)
Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, Waddington and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.