Newell Brands Manager, Brand Marketing - Writing in Atlanta, Georgia
Position Title: Manager, Brand Marketing
Reports to: Director, Category Marketing
Location: Atlanta, GA
The Manager, Brand Marketing – Krazy Glue is responsible for end-to-end management of the Krazy Glue business. In this role, the Manager, Brand Marketing – Krazy Glue is responsible for developing and implementing category strategies that drive growth of Krazy Glue for Newell Brands and our customers. This position will have end-to-end marketing responsibility developing overall brand positioning, creating and implementing annual advertising, managing the base business (distribution, pricing, merchandising), and building and delivering a pipeline of strategic innovation. This role will be a key hub of the cross-functional team, bringing together colleagues from across the business to deliver results.
In order to accomplish this, the Manager, Brand Marketing – Krazy Glue will leverage syndicated data, shopper and consumer insights, category and industry trends to develop comprehensive strategies. Derive strategies from shopper centricity, enabling greater sell-thru and market share gains. The Manager, Brand Marketing – Krazy Glue will share and execute strategies cross-functionally through Brand Development, Sales Planning, Brand Activation and Sales teams. This position works as a strategic thought leader, imparting knowledge of the category to drive profitable business results.
In addition to these marketing responsibilities, this role will have significant budgeting and P&L management responsibilities, including development of annual budget and monthly reporting against this budget.
This role will have significant visibility to senior stakeholders both internal and external.
Specific responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Develops a clear, differentiated, brand positioning, and revisions to the consumer target consistent with the brand positioning. Drives key brand, category or portfolio initiatives that effectively reach and connect with target consumers.
• Familiar with brand(s) standards and design language and ensures consistency with brand positioning. Acts as a brand champion across the business. Drives product packaging projects to be consistent with product communications hierarchy and brand(s) standards. Works collaboratively with Design Center to participate in global design initiatives.
• Provides new thinking around brand or category innovation unlocking true white space or new to the world innovation. Executes new means for stimulating creativity, insight collection or idea generation leading to new to the world insights and product concepts.
• Authors compelling concept statements for innovation and uses experience and market and consumer knowledge to prioritize ideas.
• Works collaboratively with R&D and Consumer & Market Insights (CMI) to develop and create a brand &/or category innovation strategy, including role of sustaining and breakthrough innovation, new categories, and new market spaces. Includes innovation in brand communication, business model or strategic partnership. Can explain the innovation strategy to others.
• Effectively creates and presents a robust business case through the gate-keeping process aligning executive leadership to a brand’s innovation strategy.
• Directly responsible for management across a broad portfolio balancing rhythm of entering or exiting product classes or SKUs and extending life cycles. Executes a strategic plan to leverage portfolio across regions and channels.
• Establishes clear objectives for brand communication and a vision for short and long-term success.
• Participates in annual brand planning process to set a fully integrated marketing plan and programming utilizing the full marketing mix of advertising, promotions, and trade, working with the Brand Activation and Trade Marketing teams.
• Accountable for delivering marketing objectives and strategies for the upcoming year. Executes brand communications across brands, countries and regions with purposeful differentiation and reapplication based on portfolio and category strategies.
• Participates in briefing agencies on communication objectives, advertising and media plans. Works with Brand Activation team to monitor agency execution of specific tactics.
• Completes ROI analysis on projects and recommends changes to strategy as needed.
• Applies deep understanding of the consumer to both short and long-term decisions. Links independent insight and observations to form a holistic, proprietary understanding of the consumer and leverages as a competitive advantage. Translates marketplace insights into winning strategies and tactics for the brand.
• Educates others on the consumer and marketplace.
• Informs marketing metrics, key brand, and quality measures to track and understands the underlying drivers and interaction of each metric.
• Identifies gaps in marketplace understanding and champions analyses to fill these gaps.
• Gives input to the Consumer & Market Insights (CMI) team on the learning objectives and action standards for insight projects.
• Develops deep category knowledge across multiple categories and brands.
• Analyzes shopper insights and market data to recommend pricing objectives, strategies, and guardrails for key skus or categories. Applies price modeling information to manage price. Utilizes product, pack configurations and brand architecture to exploit price ladder.
• Leads pricing audits to evaluate opportunities to extract maximum value from the market and recommend audit cadence, action steps and communicates strategy across channels.
• Trains others on the relationship between pricing measures and brand equity.
• Identifies key promotional windows based on target consumer behavior and recommends promotion depth and frequency guidelines.
• Develops annual budget in collaboration with Sales, Finance and key stakeholders including revenue, promotion and advertising line items
• Collaborates with Finance to track performance against budget on a monthly basis. Explains variance to budget and proactively adjusts plans as a consequence.
• Sets clear objectives and prioritizes initiatives for self and team. Assigns clear projects and tasks to direct reports and coaches and develops their skills. Performs semi-annual performance reviews for team members.
• Collaborates with brand management peers to share marketing best practices.
• Bachelor's degree (emphasis in business/marketing or related field), MBA or other advanced degree highly preferred
• 5+ years of experience working with a leading CPG company (Category Management, Shopper Insights, Sales or related position)
• Demonstrated knowledge of Category Management philosophies, tools and processes and proven record of success. Category Management Association certification a plus
• Strategic thinking, self-starter with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with aggressive deadlines
• Advanced analytical skills and computer software proficiency (e.g. Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SharePoint, etc.)
• Strong familiarity with syndicated data, measures and software (e.g. NPD, Nielsen/Nitro, IRI, Consumer Panel, Spectra, ECRM or Market Track, XP3, etc.)
• Multi-channel experience and shopper understanding.
• Must be able to travel 10-20% of the time.
• Build strong sustainable business relationships at all levels and functions of the organization and with customers and customer teams
• Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
• Direct and perform analysis across a wide variety of category business issues and make fact based recommendations
• Must be able to link business objectives with winning growth strategies
• Convey complex issues brilliantly with excellent communication and presentation skills
Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.